AEI Client Nicolas Dr. Bazan’s Una Vida named a 2010 Glyph Finalist in the "Literary Fiction" category
RENOWNED SCIENTIST'S MESMERIZING DEBUT NOVEL
FINALIST IN PRESTIGIOUS LITERARY CONTEST
CHANDLER, AZ (May 6, 2010) – Dr. Nicolas Bazan’s first novel, Una Vida: A Fable of Music and the Mind, was recently named a 2010 Glyph Finalist in the "Literary Fiction" category by the Arizona Book Publishing Association (ABPA). The Glyph Finalist designation recognizes excellence in publishing and is ABPA's equivalent to being nominated for an Oscar by the Academy of Motion Pictures.
Any book produced by an Arizona publisher, written by an Arizona author, written about Arizona or set in Arizona was eligible to enter, making competition stiff for the prestigious honor.
Una Vida takes readers on a tantalizing journey to the secret recesses of the brain via a spellbinding story about a hauntingly poignant jazz musician whose memory is slipping into the abyss of Alzheimer’s, and a driven neuroscientist, Alvaro Cruz, who’s desperately trying to reconstruct her fragmented memory, believing it to be key to his own life’s mysteries. Una Vida is filled with delightful twists and unexpected turns, all centering around one of the greatest gifts New Orleans has given the world – jazz.
“This mystical, deeply provocative novel portrays the anguish of Alzheimer’s by contrast with the brilliance of the human brain in creating reality from dreams,” – Leeza Gibbons, founder of Leeza’s Place (for the families of Alzheimer victims).
A world-renowned neuroscientist, Bazan’s neurological know-how and adept storytelling elevate Una Vida with a compassion that drives his story straight to the heart. Currently, Bazan lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, where he "satisfies his hunger for great food and fine music."
Una Vida: A Fable of Music and the Mind, (ISBN: 978-1-58985-112-2, hardcover) a Five Star Publications product, retails for $25.95 and can be purchased through BarnesandNoble.com, Borders.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Target.com, indiebound.org and www.FiveStarPublications.com. Visit www.UnaVidaNovel.com for more information.
Five Star Publications is approaching its 25th year of doing business in Chandler, Ariz. For more information about Five Star, Radke or her award-winning books, visit www.FiveStarPublications.com, email info@FiveStarPublications.com, or call 480-940-8182.
Waterford, Michigan - 20/4/2010 - Our Plush toy was created from the famous and inspiring "Puppy Faith" picture when she first stood up on her two legs in the snow. Cher Marketing Inc., who holds the contract to sell Faith Inspirational Products, contacted Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Company to create and manufacture a huggable and lovable "Puppy Faith" plush stuffed animal. Faith the incredible bipedal dog has been seen on many media outlets such as Oprah, Montel Williams, Animal Planet, Ripley's Believe It Or Not and so many others. A portion of all proceeds will go to help animals in need.
"Puppy Faith" is 10 inches tall with a removable heart shaped ear tag that reads: My name is "Faith" and I am a “two legged” dog. People say I am special because I can walk. My mom says, “You Do Not Need to Be Born Physically Perfect to Be Perfect”. Thank you for being my friend. You can order your "Puppy Faith" at www.chermarketing.com or call us at 248-674-9339 today. The plush toy will be ready for shipment around May 20th 2010. The cost of "Puppy Faith" is $14.99 plus shipping and handling. The safety and quality of this product is guaranteed by the manufacturer.
Not everyone will get the opportunity to meet Faith in person but they can still be inspired by having their own "Puppy Faith to love and hold. Faith is such an incredible and inspiring dog and she brings out the best in all of us. Her message of Hope, Determination & Inspiration is spreading around the world aboard "The Faith Train" go to www.boardthefaithtrain.com and "Get On Board". You can also go to Faith's official site at www.faiththedog.info. Cher Marketing and Faith's owner, Jude Stringfellow, are proud to partner up with animal rescue organizations to help animals in need. "Everyone Needs A Little Faith".
Cher Marketing grew out of the promotional needs of our corporate customers. Our customers need to put their logo or message onto items to brand and to promote their business. We answer this need with top quality service, printing and a great selection. Cher Marketing Inc. has been providing quality goods and services for over 17 years.
In the vastly downsized major motion picture market for a screenplay written on spec by an outsider, what is the best strategy for today’s aspiring screenwriter?
Here are some observations to keep in mind:
· The divide between the majors (Disney, Dreamworks, Fox, Paramount, Warner, Sony) and the independents (“indies”) has never been more clearly drawn.
· The majors are looking for major properties, screenplays based on nationally-known underlying properties such as bestselling novels, familiar comic books, hot graphic novels, existing franchises (like our “Ripley’s Believe It or Not!”). They are buying ALMOST nothing else these days, as they have downsized the number of films they produce each year radically—fewer, with larger budgets.
· The EXCEPTION that causes my “almost” is a HIGH-CONCEPT screenplay that is so well written no one can resist it. What is High Concept? See previous postings on this blog and elsewhere, but in a word it’s a concept that can be described either IN THE TITLE itself (“Splash,” “Liar, Liar,” “Bruce Almighty,” or “Wedding Crashers”) or in a few words (“It’s ‘Wedding Crashers’ on a cruise ship”). So, yes, an extremely well-written spec based on a high concept is something that might sell IF you keep in mind:
· The few high concept specs that are selling these days almost always have an “element” attached (director, star, or financing). As manager-producers try to form alliances with creative elements before bringing a spec into the studios because studio execs make it clear they’re no longer in the development business: they want scripts with filmmakers attached who can guarantee that a film will be made.
· Although there’s plenty of room for smart concepts (almost always based on bestselling novels like “The Bourne Identity” or “Twilight”), keep in mind that the majors are in business to sell as many tickets as possible. That is why excellent movies like “The Crying Game,” “Juno,” “The Sunshine Girl,” or “Crazy Heart” are indie films. That’ll be the next thing I write about.
Be inspired by keynote addresses:
AEI's Dr. Ken Atchity, L.A. literary manager, brand-launcher, and motion picture producer, on how to tap-dance around the obstacles writers face today; Brazil's international literary figure Luis Giffoni on how to write to the world.
Meet publishing pros and authors from the UK, Brazil, Spain, Cuba, Europe, L.A., Boston, Atlanta and N.Y. Learn from award-winning playwright/screenwriting professor Richard Krevolin the power of storytelling in all genres and how to adapt anything into a screenplay; from Dr. Atchity how to write your book to be a film in today’s paradigm-shifting Hollywood; from James McSill, Anglo-Brazilian authors representative, how to structure your novel to be a commercial success; from a publisher how to pitch to the pros by acquisitions editor Paula Munier at Adams Media in Boston.
Other workshops: adapt folktales from around the world into children's picture books; self-publish and build a business around your book; make $60-$100+ an hour as a commercial freelancer; collaborate as an art and as a business; become proactive in producing your own film. Pitch your work to the pros, book a private consultation to get the individual help you need.
THREE days with the right people at the right place, learning the right things, networking with the right industry pro’s, AND promoting your book! Write in Atlanta was created with the intention to give you tools for your success in the U.S. and/or international literary scene whether you are a starting writer, an experienced author or a curious potential writer. www.write-the-world.com
Join us for one day, two days, or all three days of this exciting premiere of Write the World events in the USA--get help, have fun, network face-to-face and meet the Brazilians!
For questions, email email@example.com or James@McSill.com. See you in Atlanta.